How do I file a Petition?

If you believe a person is in need of treatment due to a mental illness and are at risk of hurting themselves or someone else, please do the following: 

The first step is to begin the process of filing a petition asking a Judge to enter and order that the person is brought to the hospital for evaluation. This is called a “pick up order.” 

If the person that needs treatment lives in Berrien County or can be found in Berrien County, contact the Self-Help Legal Resource Center at 269-983-7111, ext. 8790 for assistance with filing these Petitions.  

NOTE: If the person lives in a different county, you will have to contact the Probate Court of that county.

Show All Answers

1. Do I have to be a relative to commit someone to the hospital?
2. What is a "person requiring treatment"?
3. How do I file a Petition?
4. Is there a filing fee?
5. What happens after the "pick-up order" is signed by a judge?
6. What happens if the pick-up order expires?
7. What happens after the person is picked up and brought to the hospital?
8. What is a clinical certificate?
9. How does the person find out about the Petition?
10. When is the hearing set?
11. What happens once the hearing is set?
12. What is a Deferral Conference?
13. What happens if the person is non-compliant during the Deferral period?
14. What does it mean if the person stipulates?
15. What happens at the hearing?
16. What does it mean if the Petition is granted?
17. What if the person does not comply with treatment?
18. What happens if the person will need treatment longer than the initial treatment period?