How do I get a court appointed attorney on my case?

 In a juvenile delinquency case, all youth are entitled to an attorney.  The Court will appoint an attorney for the youth, unless the youth chooses to hire a private attorney. The Court does not appoint an attorney for the parents/guardians in juvenile delinquency proceedings, but they may hire a private attorney to represent them.

In a child protective (neglect/abuse) case, a Guardian ad Litem (an attorney who   represents the child’s best interests) will be appointed for all children in the case. Legal parents are entitled to an attorney to represent them in these proceedings.  If you qualify financially for a court appointed attorney, the Court will assign one to you.  In order to find out if you qualify for a court appointed attorney, call the Family Division at 269-983-7111 ext. 8316.

Show All Answers

1. My child is out of control – what do I do?
2. What are the telephone rules/visitation rules, etc. at the Berrien County Juvenile Center?
3. How do I expunge a juvenile record?
4. What happens if I miss my court date?
5. How do I get a court appointed attorney on my case?
6. How does the Juvenile Delinquency process work?
7. As a parent/guardian of a youth involved in a juvenile delinquency case, what might my financial responsibility be?
8. My paperwork says I need to be fingerprinted – how do I get that done?
9. How do I find out what is on my juvenile delinquency record?
10. Can I get copies of documents from a juvenile case file?
11. What juvenile files are open to the public?
12. How can I volunteer to work with children/youth that are court involved?