How do you handle Gravel Roads (dust, holes, ruts, etc.)?

The townships pay for the application of chloride on gravel roads in their township, and each township contracts with the Road Department to take care of this. The townships in Berrien County contract for one or two applications spread out over the summer.

In the summer, roads are always graded prior to having chloride applied. If your road needs graded, please submit a service request. In addition, we try to blade gravel roads after it rains and the road has softened up. In the winter, we must wait until the frost is out of the roads before we can grade them.

Show All Answers

1. When do I need to get a permit from the Road Department?
2. Why isn't my road plowed right away when it snows?
3. Where can I get information on current road conditions in Michigan?
4. Why are some roads numbered differently than others?
5. Who is responsible for State highways in Berrien County?
6. What are "Seasonal weight restrictions" and "Frost laws"?
7. How do you handle Gravel Roads (dust, holes, ruts, etc.)?
8. What causes potholes?
9. Where does the Road Department get its operating funds?
10. What are the rules and policies concerning winter weather conditions?