When do I need to get a permit from the Road Department?

Anytime a person or business does any construction work in the road right-of-way (normally 66 feet wide to 33 feet each direction from the center of the road) they need to obtain a permit. This applies to driveway installation or any other construction type activity. Permits are not needed to install a mailbox (please see our mailbox policy for more info).

  • Anyone found in violation of this permit policy is subject to a fine up to $250.

To obtain a copy of our permit please visit the permit page. You may also call our office to request a copy to be sent or faxed to you or you may stop in at our Napier Avenue office. Go to our Contact Information page for more info.

Show All Answers

1. When do I need to get a permit from the Road Department?
2. Why isn't my road plowed right away when it snows?
3. Where can I get information on current road conditions in Michigan?
4. Why are some roads numbered differently than others?
5. Who is responsible for State highways in Berrien County?
6. What are "Seasonal weight restrictions" and "Frost laws"?
7. How do you handle Gravel Roads (dust, holes, ruts, etc.)?
8. What causes potholes?
9. Where does the Road Department get its operating funds?
10. What are the rules and policies concerning winter weather conditions?