How can I stop a garnishment?

If filed timely, you may file an Objection to a Garnishment.

Generally, a defendant has 14 days from the date the Writ of Garnishment was mailed to him/her to file an objection. If you have questions regarding the timeliness of the filing, you may contact the Court at 269-982-8683 (Saint Joseph) or 269-684-5274 (Niles).

You may also file a Motion for Installment Payments.

Please bring income information and a list of monthly expenses for the Court to consider when filing a Motion for Installment Payments. After filing a Motion for Installment Payments, a copy of the motion is sent to the plaintiff or their attorney. The plaintiff has 14 days to object to the entry of an Order for Installment Payments. If the plaintiff objects, there will be a hearing in front of the Judge. If you are being garnished, the garnishment does not stop until a Judge signs an order to stop it. If the Judge signs an Order for Installment Payments, you are then responsible to make your payment to the plaintiff or their attorney.

Show All Answers

1. How do I file a Small Claim?
2. How do I stop a garnishment against my wages?
3. An officer just served a Summons and Complaint on me. What do I do?
4. How do I transfer a vehicle title when the title holder has been convicted under the Repeat Offender Law?
5. What is the difference between a certificate of mailing and certified mail?
6. I have received a summons and complaint. What can I do?
7. What happens if I do not file an answer to a summons and complaint?
8. I have a Judgment against me. How much do I owe?
9. How can I stop a garnishment?
10. I paid my Judgment, why is it still on my credit report?
11. How do I evict someone?