What do I do if I have a medical problem and I don't feel that I would be able to serve?

To be excused from jury duty for a medical reason, a letter must be submitted from your physician stating that you are unable to serve. This letter should be returned with your questionnaire no later than three weeks before your assigned week of service. These letters are forwarded to the presiding judge for consideration and you will receive verification if you are excused.

If you are permanently disabled, please be certain that your physician includes that information when writing your letter. If your physician does not specify a permanent condition your name may be drawn again the following year.

If you do not return your physician's note with your original questionnaire due to time considerations you are welcome to submit it via email the Jury Clerk or fax to 269-982-8643.

Show All Answers

1. What do I do if I have a medical problem and I don't feel that I would be able to serve?
2. What can I do if I don't hear well and I am afraid I will miss significant testimony?
3. What about work?
4. I am a college student, do I still have to serve and miss classes?
5. I am a nursing mother. Do I have to serve?
6. I have small children and don't have a sitter. Do you provide daycare?
7. What does it pay?
8. What if I don't show up?
9. Are there exemptions?
10. I was convicted of a felony, can I still serve?
11. I served less than one year ago, do I have to serve again?
12. Why am I called every year and I know people who have never been called?
13. I live in another state during the winter months and I won't be in Michigan during any of the months in my quarter. What should I do?