NAPIER AVENUE BRIDGE UPDATE
BRIDGE WILL REOPEN TO MEMORIAL DAY TRAFFIC FRIDAY MORNING
TOWNSHIP: St Joseph Township
LOCATION(s): Napier Avenue Bridge located between Langley Avenue and Miami Road
CLOSEST CITIES: St Joseph, Benton Harbor
5/26/2022 UPDATE: Work continues on the Napier Avenue Bridge rehabilitation project. The bridge will be reopened to public traffic starting at approximately 8am on Friday, 5/27/2022. Traffic will be restricted to one lane in each direction over the Memorial Day holiday weekend.
The contractor, weather permitting, is anticipated to pour concrete on Wednesday, 6/1/2022. To allow work to safely take place, the Napier Bridge will possibly be closed to the public OR a temporary traffic signal will be put in place to facilitate use of a single lane. The public should expect travel delays when temporary signals are in use.
“After the Memorial Day weekend we will have to do a one-lane closure, whether it be under a temporary traffic light or a total detour of eastbound traffic, for ten hours as they [contractors] pour the new deck.” – Kevin Stack, P.E., BCRD Interim Director
Traffic Restrictions: Napier Avenue Bridge will be reopened to one lane of traffic, in each direction, for the Memorial Day weekend.
- Work is estimated to be completed by August.
- Expect possible travel delays.
- Be aware of possible total bridge closure OR single lane controlled by a temporary traffic signal after the Memorial Day weekend.
- Remember to reduce speeds when traveling through work zones.
- Watch out for construction workers and equipment.
One Page PDF with Location Map