Southwest Berrien County experience significant rainfall over night causing localized flooding and road closures. Estimated rainfall amount in the Bridgman area is around 7.5 inches.
- AEP is on site assessing the Bridgman substation which is underwater causing power outages.
- The Berrien County Emergency Operations Center has been activated to address possible cooling centers as heat index reach over 100 degrees.
- Cooling stations are available at the locations listed below.
Updated: August 11th at 3:15 PM - The four cooling stations that were activated due to the power outages and the high heat index will be closing at 4:00 PM today. While Indiana Michigan Power continues to work on getting customers power back in service the temperatures have improved and the heat index has been significantly reduced. Individuals with non-emergency needs are still encouraged to call 2-1-1.
- New Buffalo Township Public Safety Building - 18959 US-12, New Buffalo, MI 49117
- Michiana Village Hall - 4000 Cherokee Dr., New Buffalo, MI 49117
- Lake Township Hall - 3220 W. Shawnee Rd., Bridgman MI 49106
- Lakeshore Public Schools Auditorium – 5771 Cleveland Ave, Stevensville, MI 49127
The health and safety of those visiting the cooling centers is a priority. Face masks are strongly recommended for everyone visiting the center, regardless of COVID-19 vaccination status. Any individuals experiencing COVID-19 symptoms will be asked to isolate onsite. Those visiting cooling centers are encouraged to take key protective actions such as washing hands often, keeping physical distance from others where possible, and covering coughs or sneezes.
Report Disaster Damage
For individuals who have experienced damage due to the flooding, the Report Disaster Damage Form is available.
- Holden Road - Between Shawnee and Snow Roads
- California Road - Between Ott Road and Snow Roads
August 11th, 2021 - Emergency Management Press Release #6 (PDF)
August 11th, 2021 - Emergency Management Press Release #5 (PDF)
August 11th, 2021 - Emergency Management Press Release #4 (PDF)
August 10th, 2021 - Emergency Management Press Release #3 (PDF)
August 10th, 2021 - Emergency Management Press Release #2 (PDF)
August 10th, 2021 - Emergency Management Press Release (PDF)
August 10th, 2021 - Road Department Press Release (PDF)