Southwest Berrien County experience significant rainfall over night causing localized flooding and road closures. Estimated rainfall amount in the Bridgman area is around 7.5 inches.
- AEP is on site assessing the Bridgman substation which is underwater causing power outages.
- The Berrien County Emergency Operations Center has been activated to address possible cooling centers as heat index reach over 100 degrees.
- Currently Holden Road from Shawnee Road to Snow Road is closed due to water over the road.
- Cooling stations are available at the locations listed below.
- New Buffalo Township Public Safety Building - 18959 US-12, New Buffalo, MI 49117
- Michiana Village Hall - 4000 Cherokee Dr., New Buffalo, MI 49117
- Mars Community Center - 430 W. Mars St., Berrien Springs, MI 49103
- Lakeshore Public Schools Auditorium (This cooling station will remain open until 9:00 PM.) – 5771 Cleveland Ave, Stevensville, MI 49127
The health and safety of those visiting the cooling centers is a priority. Face masks are strongly recommended for everyone visiting the center, regardless of COVID-19 vaccination status. Any individuals experiencing COVID-19 symptoms will be asked to isolate onsite. Those visiting cooling centers are encouraged to take key protective actions such as washing hands often, keeping physical distance from others where possible, and covering coughs or sneezes.
August 10th, 2021 - Emergency Management Press Release #2 (PDF)
August 10th, 2021 - Emergency Management Press Release (PDF)
August 10th, 2021 - Road Department Press Release (PDF)