Berrien County along with other Southwestern Michigan counties are activating annual frost laws to protect roads. Enacting Frost Laws in the Spring helps preserve the condition of the roadway. Road surfaces can crack and develop stress fractures in reaction to too much weight being placed upon the surfacing during this time. The length that frost laws are in effect is determined based upon weather conditions.
When conditions justify the need for frost laws, the Michigan Department of Transportation (MDOT) and county road agencies enact weight restrictions on roadways that are not designated as all-season routes. Additional details of seasonal restrictions can be found in Section 257.722 of the Michigan Vehicle Code, Act 300 of 1949. There are a few exemptions allowed for those hauling agricultural commodities and public utility vehicles.
The County Road Association of Michigan online provides an update of current weight restrictions in each county across the state of Michigan. For the most up-to-date information on weight restrictions on state roads, visit Michigan Department of Transportation (MDOT)
Following frost laws help maintain and protect roads from greater deterioration during this weather shift.
SEASONAL RESTRICTION LOADING MAXIMUMS
35% Reduction of Normal Loading Per Axle (as follows):
• 11,700 pounds on single axles spaced 9 feet or more apart
• 8,450 pounds on tandem axles spaced 3.5 feet to 9 feet apart
• 5,850 pounds on axles separated by less than 3.5 feet
• 8,450 pounds per axle maximum, tri-axle and multi-axles
• 35 miles per hour maximum speed limit
ALL-SEASON ROAD LOADING MAXIMUMS
• 18,000 pounds on single axles spaced 9 feet or more apart
• 16,000 pounds on tandem axles spaced 3.5 feet to 9 feet apart
• Only one tandem axle assembly permitted at 32,000 pounds., no other tandem axle assembly shall exceed 26,000 pounds
• 9,000 pounds on axles separated by less than 3.5 feet
• 13,000 pounds per axle maximum, tri-axles and multi-axles
Weight determinations are based on axle configuration in the Michigan Truck Safety Department publication "Truck Driver's Guidebook"
In additional to weight restrictions, there will also be a speed restriction set of 35mph.
Visit www.bcroad.org to find information regarding Berrien County Road Department’s all season roads, BCRD Restricted Bridges and Culverts, and to view the BCRD Truck Operators Map.
For more information for Berrien County contact the Berrien County Road Department Offices at 269-925-1196. To submit permit paperwork or payment you can do so online or in person at the Berrien County Road Department located at 2860 E. Napier Ave, Benton Harbor, MI 49022. Office hours are Monday – Friday 7:30am until 4pm.
Digital links (for additional information):
Link to BCRD Truck Operators Map: http://bcroad.org/DocumentCenter/View/4320/BCRD-Truck-Operators-Map-PDF
Information posted on our website regarding commercial vehicles: http://bcroad.org/1428/Commercial-Vehicles
CRA’s Seasonal Weight Restrictions Map: https://micountyroads.org/business/seasonal-weight-restrictions/