Tuberculosis (TB) is caused by a bacterium called Mycobacterium tuberculosis. The bacteria usually attack the lungs, but TB bacteria can attack any part of the body such as the kidney, spine, and brain. TB is spread through the air from one person to another when a person with TB disease coughs, sneezes, or speaks. Not everyone infected with TB bacteria becomes sick, but if not treated properly, TB disease can be fatal.
The Berrien County Health Department provides evaluation of an individual’s TB status as well as treatment and follow-up of exposed individuals and active cases. For employers with groups of 10 or more, TB testing can be done at your workplace. Call the TB Control Nurse for more information.
- TB skin tests are by appointment only at the Benton Harbor and Niles offices.
- TB testing on Mondays from 8:30 - 11:30 a.m.
- TB test readings on Wednesdays of the same week from 1 - 2 p.m.
Cost of Services
An individual TB skin test is $25. No one will be denied services because of inability to pay.
For appointments, call:
- Benton Harbor - 269-926-7121
- Niles - 269-684-2800 ex. 6510
For information on TB prevention and treatment call our office to speak to the TB Control nurse.