Dams are regulated for safety by the government in much the same way as bridges, factories, etc. States regulate the majority of dams in the United States (about 80%); the Federal government regulates the remaining 20%. Dams in Berrien County are regulated by Part 315, Dam Safety, of the Natural Resources and Environmental Protection Act, (451 P.A. 1994). The Michigan DEQ webpage has additional information on how these dams are inspected and regulated. Visit the DEQ Water Management Divisions webpage for additional information.