- Benton Metal Recycling: 1256 Milton Rd., Benton Harbor, 269-926-1161, www.bentonmetalrecycling.com. Accepts: scrap metal.
- Green Earth Electronics Recycling: 4200 Niles Rd., St. Joseph, 269-326-1232, www.greenearth1.com. Accepts: scrap metal.
- Harbor Habitat Restore: 2302 Plaza Dr., Benton Harbor, 269-927-0006, www.harborhabitat.org. Accepts: scrap metal.
- LH Auto Recycling: 2267 Reum Rd., Niles, 269-684-1685. Accepts: scrap metal.
- Padnos, Benton Harbor Division: 1410 N. Paw Paw Ave., Benton Harbor, 269-927-1030. Accepts: scrap metal.
- Padnos, Redbud Recycling Division: 15565 Walton Rd., Buchanan, 269-695-6804.
- Michiana Recycling & Disposal: 33541 Reum Rd., Niles, 269-687-5865.
Most dry cleaners will take back used metal clothes hangers for reuse.
Returnable Beverage Cans
Michigan is one of 11 states with a beverage container deposit law. Only "beverage containers" require a deposit and can be redeemed. The law states under MCL Section 445.571(b) that a beverage means a “soft drink, soda water, carbonated natural mineral water, or other nonalcoholic carbonated drink; beer, ale, or other malt drink of whatever alcoholic content; or a mixed wine drink or a mixed spirit drink.” Bringing beverage containers from out of state on which no deposit was paid in Michigan for the purpose of collecting a deposit on the containers is illegal. More information about the Michigan Bottle Bill can be found by searching "Bottle Bill" at the MI Department of Environmental Quality website.