Basic Recording Requirements
- Names must be typed, stamped or printed beneath the original signature or mark of the person.
MCLA 565.201 Section 1(a), 565.201 Section 1(c)
- No discrepancy shall exist between names recited in the notary acknowledgment or jurat and as typed, stamped or printed beneath the original signature or mark of the person.
MCLA 565.201 Section 1(b)
- Name and address of the grantee must appear on instruments that convey or encumber real estate.
MCLA 565.201 Section 1(d)
- Name and address of the person who drafted the document must be shown on the document.
MCLA 565.201a Section 1(a)
- Documents purporting to convey or encumber real estate executed in Michigan must be acknowledged by a judge, clerk of the court of record or by a notary public. Instruments conveying land or interest in land executed in Michigan acknowledged by a notary shall include the public acknowledgement with signature, county of certification, name of party(ies) being acknowledged and commission expiration date as well as state and county where the document was executed.
MCLA 565.8, 565.47, form 565.265, 565.267
- A certified copy of a Death Certificate or other proof of death must be recorded or have been recorded and referenced by Liber and Page on said document when "survivor" is indicated on the document.
- Court orders must be certified and sealed by the clerk of the court.
MCLA 565.401, 565.411
- The document must be legible, black ink, type size 10-point, white 20-pound paper, with a blank margin of 2 1/2 inches at the top for the first page and 1/2" on all other margins. Paper size must be 8 1/2 inches by 11 inches and not larger than 8 1/2 inches by 14 inches.
MCLA 565.201 Section 1(f)(iv), (e)(iii), (f)(i)
- Documents must display on the first line of print on the first page, a single statement identifying the single recordable event that the instrument evidences.
MCLA 565.201 Section 1(h), 565.201 Section 3
- Total value of real property must be stated on the face of the document or a real estate affidavit must be attached.
MCLA 207.504, 207.525
- Unless state or federal law, rule, regulation, or court order or rule requires that all or more than 4 sequential digits of the social security number appear in the instrument...the first 5 digits of any social security number appearing in or on the instrument are obscured or removed.
MCLA 565.201 Section 1(g)
***THIS IS NOT INTENDED TO BE A COMPLETE LIST OF RECORDING REQUIREMENTS***