NOAA Weather Radios
NOAA Weather Radio (NWR) is a nationwide network of radio stations broadcasting continuous weather information directly from the nearest National Weather Service office. NWR broadcasts official Weather Service warnings, watches, forecasts and other hazard information 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
When an emergency alert is issued by local Berrien County authorities, the National Weather Service in Northern Indiana will be notified by the Berrien County Public Safety Communications Center (911). The BCPSCC will request the NWS to broadcast the alert into Berrien County to warn the public of the situation and recommended action to take.
When a weather emergency is occurring in Berrien County, such as a tornado, The National Weather Service activates the NOAA Weather radios without the BCPSCC needing to take time to make the request. The Public is then being warned at the same time that the BCPSCC is receiving notice of the hazard. This saves time and allows the community to act quickly.
Why is this important?
Berrien County's warning system was redesigned in 2020 with the intent of creating more opportunities to receive alerts indoors and to receive more information about the problem simultaneously with the alert. The most natural and common delivery of these enhanced notifications was identified to be through cell phone alerts, land line phone alerts, television, and AM/FM radio. It is recognized that people want many different options to control when their devices will sound, especially when they are asleep. Weather radios offer the following advantages:
- Serves as an excellent backup to IPAWS and B-WARN!
- Many radio models offer different features to give users options. Many of them offer loud alarms that are designed to wake people from sleep to inform of dangerous conditions. Look for models with SAME code programming as a good indicator that the radio has these alarm features.
- Weather Radios often have options to program the Berrien County codes (SAME Codes) so they will only go off when an emergency occurs in Berrien County.
- Some Weather radio models allow you to choose which types of weather warnings you want to receive.
- Most weather radios will allow you to monitor a weather report on a continuous loop to stay informed during weather emergencies. It also allows you to test locations in your home to ensure you have good reception and make sure it is working.
- Many models allow you to attach antennas to improve signal indoors. Some models are portable and allow you to take them outdoors with you.
- The National Weather Service Tests the system on a regular basis. (Wednesday Mornings between 11AM and 12PM).
Berrien County is served by the National Weather Service Northern Indiana. Coverage maps can be found on their website, but are summarized below for convenience. Outages are also reported on their webpage. You may report an Outage to the NWS by calling the local forecast office, or by using this form.
South Bend Tower
|Kalamazoo Tower||North Webster Tower|