- Health Department
- Lead & Drinking Water
Lead & Drinking Water
- What is lead?
- How can I be exposed to lead?
- How does lead get into drinking water?
- How can I prevent being exposed to lead in my water?
- Why does flushing the water before drinking make it safe?
- What are some of the health problems lead can cause?
- Where can I get my child’s blood tested for lead?
- What does an "elevated blood lead level" mean?
- Should I have my child tested for lead?
- Where can I go to get my water tested?
- Will it cost me anything to get my water tested for lead?
- What else is the Berrien County Health Department doing?
- What is a lead service line?
- How do I know if I have a lead service line going to my house?
- Where can I go to find more information?
For questions about the water or water testing:
Michigan Department of Environment, Great Lakes, and Energy (EGLE)
For questions about health:
Berrien County Health Department
Public Health Hotline: 1-800-815-5485
Main Number: 269-926-7121
Michigan Department of Health and Human Services
Additional Links and Resources
- Factsheet: Childhood Lead Poisoning
- Factsheet: Older Adults Exposure to Lead
- Factsheet: Reducing Lead Exposure from Drinking Water
- Factsheet: Lead Poisoning Prevention in Berrien County
- Factsheet: Cleaning Your Aerators (En Español)
- Factsheet: Well Fed Means Less Lead
- Factsheet: Lead & Nutrition for Seniors
- Factsheet: Flushing Your House Plumbing System When Water Services Are Restored
- Infographic: 2018 Michigan Lead & Copper Rule
- Parent Handout: Creating a Lead Safe Home
- Parent Handout: Pregnant/Nursing Mothers and Lead
- Parent Handout: What Your Child’s Lead Test Means
- Infographic: Sources of Lead in Drinking Water
- Web Link: Michigan Department of Environment, Great Lakes, and Energy (EGLE)
- Web Link: Michigan Department of Health and Human Services (MDHHS)
- Web Link: US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA)
- Web Link: Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)
Water Filter System Installation Instructions
Handout: PUR Faucet Filter Installation Guide