Report a Chemical Spill


Chemical releases in Michigan are potentially reportable under one or more of twenty-six different state and federal regulations. Determining which regulations apply to a specific release can be an overwhelming task. The "Release Notification Requirements in Michigan" table was compiled by the Michigan Department of Environment, Great Lakes, and Energy (EGLE) to help owners and operators of facilities in Michigan, including vehicles and farms, determine their potential notification and reporting requirements in the event of a chemical release. Check your permits, licenses, registrations, pollution prevention plans, and local ordinances for additional release reporting requirements.  You can learn more about these requirements by visiting EGLE's webpage , pay particular attention to section 304 of the Act.


Report Emergencies:

When a spill is an emergency (ie: Life, Health, Property, or the Environment is in danger) the responsible party must notify the Berrien County Public Safety Communications Center (BCPSCC 9-1-1) so they can notify the appropriate emergency responders.  The BCPSCC will notify the Emergency Management Office of the spill and this process will serve as initial notification to the LEPC.  

For follow up reporting to the LEPC, you may email reports to [email protected], or call the Emergency Management Office at (269) 983-7111 extension 4915.

Report Environmental Emergencies to the State:

Environmental Emergency - 24 hour Pollution Emergency Alert System (PEAS)

During daytime hours, you may also contact the appropriate district office directly.