Being Deferred or Excused

These are the acceptable reasons for having your jury service deferred or excused:

  • You have served within the last 12 months
  • You are over 70 years of age and choose not to serve
  • You have a disabling medical problem, which must be verified by a physician's letter or disability certificate
  • If you are a nursing mother, you must submit verification from your pediatrician
  • If you have moved out of Berrien County, please submit proof of your new address
  • College students are required to serve at the conclusion of the semester or academic year.  Respond to the questionnaire with a week that the student will be available.  If a student has relocated and established a residence away at school (ex. renting an apartment year-round in East Lansing or Ann Arbor), that student may be excused as a non-resident with proof of their relocation (signed lease agreement, utility bill, etc.) or a copy of their state-issued I.D. including their updated address.  
  • If you are in the military, please provide proof of your enlistment
  • If you are not a United States Citizen please provide proof of citizenship for the country you are a citizen of
  • If you have a felony conviction