HHW & Electronics Recycling Collections
Open to Berrien County Residents Only - No Business Waste Allowed
Household Hazardous Waste and Electronics Recycling Collections
PAINT PRODUCTS: Oil based paint (latex paint is NOT accepted, click HERE for latex paint disposal options), Stain, Varnish, Mineral spirits, Paint thinner/Stripper, Turpentine, Spray Paint Cans (all kinds).
AUTOMOTIVE PRODUCTS: Used motor oil and filters, Antifreeze, Batteries, Brake fluid, Gasoline, Transmission fluid, Waxes/polishes
FUELS: Kerosene, Home heating oil, Lighter fluid
PESTICIDES/HERBICIDES: All kinds
AEROSOLS: All kinds
CLEANERS: Soaps and shampoos, Bathroom/kitchen cleaners, Waxes/polishes, Oven cleaner, Drain cleaner
ACIDS & BASES: Muriatic acid, Battery acid, TSP, Lye
PROPANE CYLINDERS: One-pound cylinders only (not gas grill size, click HERE for disposal information for the larger tanks)
PHOTOGRAPHY CHEMICALS: Developer, Fixer, Stop bath
MERCURY: Thermometers, Thermostats, Liquid
BATTERIES: Household or alkaline batteries (any size), Rechargeable (used in power tools, phones, laptops, etc), Lithium, Button cell, Auto batteries, Motorcycle batteries, Boat batteries
SWIMMING POOL CHEMICALS: Chlorine, pH reducer, pH increaser
BEAUTY PRODUCTS: Hair spray, Perfume/cologne, Nail polish/remover
FLUORESCENT LIGHTS: Compact, 8-foot tubes & shorter, Circular
ADHESIVES: Caulk, Glue
MEDICAL WASTE: Outdated medicine, Pills (either in original container or combined into a baggie), Liquid, Medical sharps (in a puncture proof container). There are more options available for safe disposal of pills and liquid medication - click HERE for a list of other drop-off sites.
MISCELLANEOUS: Cooking oil, Crack filler, Driveway sealer, Roof coating.
ELECTRONICS: computer monitors ($5/CRT monitor), televisions ($10/tube TV), computer peripherals, printers, DVR/DVD players, phones, microwaves, small and large appliances, dehumidifiers, stereos, anything with a cord or that runs on batteries. Electronics will be collected and recycled by Green Earth Electronics Recycling of St. Joseph, MI.
ITEMS NOT ACCEPTED
Click on the 'non-accepted' items below for a list of disposal and recycling options.
Fireworks & Ammo
Grill Size & Larger Propane Tanks
The 2014 Berrien County Household Hazardous Waste & Electronics Recycling Collections
April 9, 3-7 p.m., LAKE MICHIGAN COLLEGE, 2755 E. Napier Ave., Benton Harbor campus. Part of the Reduce, Reuse, Recycle Day collection event.
May 17, 8 a.m. - Noon, SOUTHEAST BERRIEN COUNTY LANDFILL RECYCLE STATION, 3200 Chamberlain Rd., Buchanan.
June 21, 9 a.m. - 1 p.m., NEW BUFFALO TOWNSHIP FIRE DEPARTMENT, 17655 Clay Street, near the Rt. 12/Red Arrow Hwy/Clay St. intersection, New Buffalo.
July 19, 9 a.m. - 1 p.m., WATERVLIET HIGH SCHOOL, 450 E. St. Joseph St. (Red Arrow Hwy), Watervliet
August 20, 3-7 p.m., LOVE CREEK NATURE CENTER, 9292 Huckleberry Rd., Berrien Center.
September 27, 9 a.m. - 1 p.m., SILVER BEACH COUNTY PARK, 101 Broad St., below the bluff, St. Joseph
October 18, 8 a.m. - Noon, SOUTHEAST BERRIEN COUNTY LANDFILL RECYCLE STATION, 3200 Chamberlain Rd., Buchanan
OTHER DROP-OFF OPTIONS
- If you are unable to make it to a Berrien County collection event listed above, consider asking a friend, neighbor, co-worker, family member or hire a Handyman Service to take your materials for you.
- The Kalamazoo County Household Hazardous Waste Center is open year around and is FREE for Berrien County residents to use. Berrien County residents must show ID with address when using this facility. Learn more at http://www.kalcounty.com/hhw, call the K'zoo County HHW Hotline 269-373-5211, or call the Berrien County Environmental Property Manager for more information 269-983-7111 x8234.
- For a list of other Battery recycling options, click HERE.
- For a list of other Used Motor Oil recycling options, click HERE.
- For a list of other Antifreeze options, see the Jackie Taglia Recycling Center, click HERE.
- For a list of other Medical Waste (pills) disposal options, click HERE.
- For a list of other Compact Fluorescent Light Bulb recycling options, click HERE.
- For a list of other Electronics recycling options, click HERE.
QUESTIONS? Call (269) 983-7111 Ext. 8234 or click HERE to email the County Environmental Property Manager.