Hon. Charles T. LaSata
Judge Charles LaSata is a life-long resident of Berrien County. He received his Bachelor’s degree from Kalamazoo College in Kalamazoo, Michigan and his Juris Doctor degree from The Catholic University of America in Washington D.C.
Judge LaSata was elected to the Circuit Court Bench in 2004. He is a former partner / shareholder in LaSata Law Office in Niles, and Bittner, Hyrns, LaSata, Reimland & Daly P.C. of Saint Joseph.
Prior to his judicial election, he served Berrien County in a number of roles. Judge LaSata was the Michigan State Representative for the 79th District in northern Berrien County for six years 1999 to 2004. While in the state legislature he served as vice-chair of the House Appropriations Committee, chair of the Corrections Subcommittee, vice-chair of the Judiciary Committee, and chair of the bi-partisan lawyer’s caucus.
He also represented the state of Michigan on several boards; served on the Civil Justice Task Force with the National Conference of State Legislators, and the Civil Justice Task Force for the American Legislative Exchange Council. Judge LaSata also served as a Saint Joseph City Commissioner for four years and Mayor of the City of Saint Joseph for four years prior to entering the legislature.
Memberships or Awards
Judge LaSata has been active in numerous professional and community organizations which include the following memberships or awards (past / present):
- State Bar of Michigan
- State Bar of Indiana
- Berrien County Bar Association
- Michigan Judge’s Association
- Officer, Saint Joseph / Benton Harbor Knights of Columbus
- Insurance Law Committee, State Bar of Michigan
- Cornerstone Alliance Board Member
- 4H Foundation Director
- Berrien County Guardianship services, board member
- Saint Joseph Jaycees, past president
- Farm Bureau
- Ducks Unlimited and Pheasants Forever
- Saint Joseph / Benton Harbor Rotary Club
- Legislator of the Year Michigan Sheriff’s Association 2000
- Legislator of the Year Michigan Environmental Council 2004
- Legislator of the Year Michigan Assoc. of Independent Colleges and Univ. 2002
- Champion for Children Award recipient 2002
- Leadership Award from Highland Avenue SDA Church 2003
Judge LaSata and his wife Kim reside in Saint Joseph with their four children.