Berrien County Community Recycling Events
Berrien County Parks Department conducts community recycling collection events for a variety of items. See the list of recycling events below. These events are open to Berrien County residents only. Business waste is not accepted at these events.
2018 COMMUNITY RECYCLING EVENTS
Home chemical & electronics recycling
August 15, 2018, Wednesday, 3 p.m. - 7 p.m., LOVE CREEK NATURE CENTER, 9292 Huckleberry Rd., Berrien Center. Description of accepted items below.
home chemical & electronics recycling
September 22, 2018, Saturday, 9 a.m. - 1 p.m., SILVER BEACH COUNTY PARK, 101 Broad St., below the bluff, St. Joseph. Description of accepted items below.
home chemical, electronics, and document shredding event
October 13, 2018, Saturday, 8 a.m. - 12 Noon, SOUTHEAST BERRIEN COUNTY LANDFILL RECYCLE STATION, 3200 Chamberlain Rd., Buchanan. Description of accepted items below.
list of accepted home chemicals
- Acids and Bases: Muriatic acid, Battery acid, TSP, Lye
- Adhesives: Caulk, Glue
- Aerosols: All kinds
- Automotive Products:
- Brake fluid
- Gasoline: Gasoline brought in a standard gas can or gas container can be poured off at the event, and the container can be returned to the participant
- Transmission fluid
- Used motor oil and filters
- Auto batteries
- Boat batteries
- Button cell
- Household or alkaline batteries (any size)
- Motorcycle batteries
- Rechargeable (used in power tools, phones, laptops, etc.)
- Beauty Products:
- Hair spray
- Nail polish/remover
- Bathroom/kitchen cleaners
- Drain cleaner
- Oven cleaner
- Soaps and shampoos
- Fluorescent Lights: Compact, tubes, Circular
- Gasoline: Gasoline brought in a standard gas can or gas container can be poured off at the event, and the container can be returned to the participant.
- Home heating oil
- Lighter fluid
- Medical Waste:
- Medical Sharps and Needles (must be in a puncture proof container)
- Outdated medicine
- Pills (either in original container or combined into a baggie)
- Mercury: Thermometers, Thermostats, Liquid
- Miscellaneous: Cooking oil, Crack filler, Driveway sealer, Roof coating.
- Pesticides/Herbicides: All kinds
- Photography Chemicals: Developer, Fixer, Stop bath
- Propane Cylinders (1 lb): One-pound cylinders only. Gas grill size propane tanks are not accepted at these events.
- Swimming Pool Chemicals:
- pH reducer / pH increaser
- Paint Products (latex paint is NOT accepted):
- Mineral spirits
- Oil based paint
- Paint thinner/Stripper
- Spray Paint Cans of all kinds
list of accepted electronics
- Air conditioners
- All household and office electronics
- Anything with a cord or that runs on batteries
- Chain saws
- Computer monitors ($10/monitor fee, all types)
- Computer peripherals
- DVR/DVD players
- Power tools
- Push lawn mowers
- Small and large appliances
- Televisions ($20/tv fee, all types)
ANOTHER OPTION FOR DISPOSAL OF HOUSEHOLD CHEMICALS: The Kalamazoo County Household Hazardous Waste Center is available for Berrien County RESIDENTS to use, free, year around. When utilizing the Kalamazoo HHW Center, Berrien County residents must show an ID with an address.