Filing and Filing Fees

Why do I have to file anything?

Once a matter is started with the Court, the law requires certain filings to keep the court informed.  

What does filing cost? 

In general, starting an Estate, Conservatorship, Guardianship, or Name Change is $175 plus an additional $12.00 for one certified copy of the Letters. Accounts, motions, and petitions are $20. See the Probate Court Filing Fees. 

When does the court open for filing?

Court hours are from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. (See the Holiday Schedule for office closings.)

Does the Probate Court accept credit cards?  

Yes.  Visa, MasterCard, American Express, and Discover.  There is an additional fee of $2.50 for debit and $5.00 for credit. 

Can I pay over the phone?

Yes. Visa, MasterCard, American Express, and Discover. There is an additional $5.00 fee to pay by credit over the phone.

Will you accept a faxed or emailed document?

No. You must file the original document with the Probate Court. Copies are not accepted.

How do I know if you've received my documents yet?  

You will be contacted with a hearing date and time if you are sending in a Petition or Motion that requires a hearing. Otherwise, you will not be contacted when your document is received. However, if you send an extra copy of the document along with a postage-paid return envelope, the court staff will file stamp the copy and return it to you.  

How can I get copies back from the court?  

The Probate Court will return a file stamped copy to you if you provide a postage-paid return envelope and an extra copy of the document you would like returned.  

How can I get copies of a document that has already been filed?

You may request a copy of any document that has already been filed. Copies cost $1.00 per page. If you would like the copies certified, there is an additional $10.00 certification fee. 

Copies can be mailed, faxed, or emailed to you. For mail, you must send to the Probate Court the copy fee and a postage paid return envelope. If you wish to receive a document by fax, there is an additional $5.00 fee. There is no additional fee for email. 

Contact the Probate Court to request copies. A Deputy Register will let you know the number of pages of the document you are requesting.  

How do I file foreign letters?  

You may mail or bring in authenticated copies of your foreign representative appointment. There is a $20 filing fee.  

What is "proper captioning"?  

Proper captioning means clearly identifying the type of matter. For example, John Doe, Deceased or Mary Smith, a protected individual.